GIỚI THIỆU BÀI HỌC
- What is an adverb clause? - Common signals of adverb clause - Types of adverb clauses
NỘI DUNG BÀI HỌC
I. What is an adverb clause?
- Containing Subject & Verb
- Having a conjunction as signal
- Answering these questions:
How? When? Where? or Why?
II. Common adverb clause signals
|after||in order (that)||unless|
|as far as||lest||whenever|
|as soon as||no matter how||where|
|as if||now that||wherever|
|even if||so that|
|even though||supposing (that)|
|in case (that)||till|
II. Adverb clauses of time
- After the game has finished, the king and pawn go into the same box.
- I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store.
- As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.
III. Adverb clauses of place
- In a world where there is so much to be done, I felt strongly impressed that there must be something for me to do.
- I am not afraid of the pen, the scaffold, or the sword. I will tell the truth wherever I please.
IV. Adverb clauses of manner
- He acts like it is a joke.
- You talk to me the way a teacher talks to a naughty student.
- Except for an occasional heart attack, I feel as young as I ever did.
V. Adverb clause of concession
- Although golf was originally restricted to only rich people, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.
- A loud voice cannot compete with a clear voice, even if it's a whisper.
VI. Adverb clause of reason
- I don't have a bank account, because I don't know my mother's maiden name.
- Since you are like no other being ever created, you are incomparable.