GIỚI THIỆU BÀI HỌC
Contents - Basic rule: Sing-sing, plu-plu + Rule 1: Preposition phrases + Rule 2: or, nor + Rule 3: neither... nor + Rule 4: Combined subjects + Rule 5: Comma & Brackets + Rule 6: Here/ there + Rule 7: Time & money units + Rule 8: Quantifiers + Rule 9: Collective nouns + Rule 10: Subjunctive
NỘI DUNG BÀI HỌC
I. Basic rule: Sing-sing, plu-plu
- Tom likes me.
Tom like me.
- They don't come.
They doesn't come.
1. Rule 1: Preposition phrases
- A bunch of yellow roses
give color to the room.
- A bunch of yellow roses gives color to the room.
2. Rule 2: or, nor
- My aunt or my uncle is arriving by train today.
- Neither Juan nor Carmen is available.
- Either Kiana or Casey is helping today with stage decorations.
3. Rule 3: neither... nor
- Neither Tom nor they are coming today.
- Neither they nor Tom is coming today.
4. Combined subjects
- A car and a bike are my means of transportation.
- Breaking and entering is against the law.
- The bed and breakfast was charming.
5. Comma & Brackets
- The politician, along with the assistant, is coming soon.
- Excitement, as well as nervousness, is the cause of her shaking.
- Joe (and his friends) was always cheerful.
6. Rule 6: Here/ there
- There are four hurdles to jump.
- There is a high hurdle to jump.
- Here are the keys.
7. Rule 7: Time & money units
- Three miles is too far to walk.
- Five years is the maximum sentence for that offense.
- Ten dollars is a high price to pay.
Ten dollars were scattered on the floor.
- A lot of the pie has disappeared.
- A lot of the pies have disappeared.
- A third of the city is unemployed.
- A third of the people are unemployed.
- All of the pie is gone.
- All of the pies are gone.
- Some of the pie is missing.
- Some of the pies are missing.
9. Collective nouns
- All of my family has arrived
OR have arrived.
- Most of the jury is here
OR are here.
- A third of the population was not in favor
OR were not in favor of the bill.
10. Rule 10: Subjunctive
- If Joe were here, you'd be sorry.
- I wish it were Friday. She requested that he raise his hand.