GIỚI THIỆU BÀI HỌC
Các cách dùng của động từ khiếm khuyết:
- Khả năng trong hiện tại và tương lai
- Cho phép ai làm việc gì
- Mức độ chắc chắn trong việc gì
- Thể hiện một nhiệm vụ, nghĩa vụ
- Nêu quan điểm hay lời khuyên
NỘI DUNG BÀI HỌC
Bài 11: MODALS (PHẦN 1)
What are modal verb?
- can, could, will be able to
- must, had to, will have to
- need, needed, will need to
- will, would
- Present & Future Ability
- Certainty & Uncertainty
- Opinions & Advice
I can swim. Can you swim?
- Can you speak Japanese?
- No, but I can speak Chinese.
Will you be able to help me move my furniture tomorrow?
Can/May I leave early, please?
Certainty & Uncertainty
|30-70%||may, might, could|
- They will come.
- They won't come.
He hasn't arrived. He must be stuck in traffic.
She can't be in Italy. I saw her yesterday.
They set off at 9:00. They should arrive here in 15 minutes.
1. I may not have time to finish tonight. (I don't know)
2. Donald Trump might win the next election. (possible)
3. I may/might have some news for you next week. (perhaps I will)
4. He could be stuck in traffic. (perhaps he is)
Must: personal obligation
- I must finish my homework before 8.00.
- You really must stop working so hard.
- You must be here by 8.00.
Have to: external obligation
- At school, we have to wear a uniform.
- When the traffic lights are red, you have to stop.
- I have to phone Jan at 9.00.
- You mustn't cross the road when the red light is showing.
- You mustn't enter this room.
- You mustn't cheat in your exams.
- You don't have to turn on the central heating.
- You don't have to help me. Really.
- You don't have to watch this.
Opinions & Advice
should & ought to
- I think the police should arrest hooligans.
- You should talk to your teacher about it.
- I think you ought to go now.
- You had better talk to your teacher about it.